Amateur Photographer Article

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Amateur Photographer Article

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 19:46

As part of our 10th anniversary celebrations, Amateur Photographer (AP) has agreed to feature our club in its "Join the Club" series. The article will appear in the 12 April edition, which will be on sale for the week commencing Tuesday, 7 April. To accompany the text, there will be 6 or 7 images taken by members. The magazine has requested that we provide around 15 photos from which the editorial team will make the final selection. Those who wish their work to be considered for publication can submit up to three images via PhotoEntry. The competition in question is called "Amateur Photographer images". Members of Council will choose those to be sent to AP.

There are some differences to the usual PhotoEntry requirements. AP has requested high resolution images so we are asking for full size shots which have not been downsized. This does not mean cropped images are ineligible, just that we are seeking work with its final dimensions after any post processing. To accommodate this, the maximum dimensions in PhotoEntry for this one submission have been set to 9,999 x 9,999 since actual sizes will vary by camera. Only uncropped images from something like a Fuji GFX 100 or stitching from many multiple images will exceed those limits. Even a Sony A7R IV with, by comparison, its paltry 61 MP would be OK. ;)

Unfortunately, PhotoEntry does not cater for flexible image sizes as it is expecting them to be projected. Consequently it gives a warrning that the image is too small. On this occasion only, the warning can be safely ignored. If you can see the image in PhotoEntry, it has been successfully uploaded. The other limitation of which to be aware is that the maximum permitted file size per image is 10 MB. The colour space should be sRGB, which is the usual setting for images uploaded to PhotoEntry for competition.

Note that these requirements only apply to images submitted for consideration for inclusion in Amateur Photographer. The usual PhotoEntry specifications will continue to apply for everything else.

I hope that everyone who has a full membership will wish to participate and submit at least one image. The closing date is midnight, Monday 24 February. Good luck.

Link to PhotoEntry: https://compent.photoentry.uk/compent/

Link to instructions: http://croydoncameraclub.org.uk/WebSite ... idance.pdf
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: Amateur Photographer Article

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 29 Jan 2020, 08:46

One other thing to add, the closing date for submissions is midnight on Monday 24 February 2020.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 16 Feb 2020, 13:19

UPDATE

Images will also be considered for inclusion with the article Croydon Advertiser is running to mark our 130th annversary.
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Tue 18 Feb 2020, 17:36

Hi Mike,
I uploaded 2 images yesterday.
Both came up with the warning:

Image too small
Publish, include metadata, no copyright watermark
W:4000, H:2649, 8.9MB

Image at 8085 x 5355 was 21.3 MB
Hence used 4000 x 2649 to get below 10 MB at 300 pixels/inch.

I am sure it should be alright.
Comments please.

Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 18 Feb 2020, 18:14

Iggy wrote:I uploaded 2 images yesterday.

Image too small

Hi Iggy

The following is a quote from the intial post on this thread and should answer your question:

Mike Farley wrote:Unfortunately, PhotoEntry does not cater for flexible image sizes as it is expecting them to be projected. Consequently it gives a warrning that the image is too small. On this occasion only, the warning can be safely ignored. If you can see the image in PhotoEntry, it has been successfully uploaded. The other limitation of which to be aware is that the maximum permitted file size per image is 10 MB. The colour space should be sRGB, which is the usual setting for images uploaded to PhotoEntry for competition.

Note that these requirements only apply to images submitted for consideration for inclusion in Amateur Photographer. The usual PhotoEntry specifications will continue to apply for everything else.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 19 Feb 2020, 08:30

Mike Farley wrote:
Iggy wrote:I uploaded 2 images yesterday.

Image too small

Hi Iggy

To save typing, the following is a quote from the intial post on this thread and should answer your question:

Mike Farley wrote:Unfortunately, PhotoEntry does not cater for flexible image sizes as it is expecting them to be projected. Consequently it gives a warrning that the image is too small. On this occasion only, the warning can be safely ignored. If you can see the image in PhotoEntry, it has been successfully uploaded. The other limitation of which to be aware is that the maximum permitted file size per image is 10 MB. The colour space should be sRGB, which is the usual setting for images uploaded to PhotoEntry for competition.

Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 20 Feb 2020, 00:22

Mike Farley wrote:There are some differences to the usual PhotoEntry requirements. AP has requested high resolution images so we are asking for full size shots which have not been downsized. This does not mean cropped images are ineligible, just that we are seeking work with its final dimensions after any post processing. To accommodate this, the maximum dimensions in PhotoEntry for this one submission have been set to 9,999 x 9,999 since actual sizes will vary by camera. Only uncropped images from something like a Fuji GFX 100 or stitching from many multiple images will exceed those limits. Even a Sony A7R IV with, by comparison, its paltry 61 MP would be OK. ;)

Unfortunately, PhotoEntry does not cater for flexible image sizes as it is expecting them to be projected. Consequently it gives a warrning that the image is too small. On this occasion only, the warning can be safely ignored. If you can see the image in PhotoEntry, it has been successfully uploaded. The other limitation of which to be aware is that the maximum permitted file size per image is 10 MB. The colour space should be sRGB, which is the usual setting for images uploaded to PhotoEntry for competition.

It has been suggested to me that this explanation could require clarifying, especially as there might be some confusion between the concepts of image pixel dimensions and file size - there is no direct correlation between the two. So let's have another go. Hopefully I will clarify the waters rather than muddy them.

Say, for exanple, that your camera has a 24 MP sensor and image dimensions start out at 6000 x 4000 pixels. After post processing, which might include cropping, the image dimensions could end up being smaller. That is the image which the club is seeking, not necessarily the one straight out of camera unless that is the final version. In many instances, it will not be, especially for those who shoot Raw files which require further processing to create the image. As previously described, PhotoEntry will generate a warning that the image dimensions are too small which in this instance can be ignored.

The other consideration is the file size of the image, which is entirely separate from the image's pixel dimensions. PhotoEntry has an upprer limit of 10 MB which is normally sufficient as an image's pixel dimesions are usually reduced for competition purposes. However, a maximum quality JPEG created using a camera with a large number of megapixels might exceed the threshold. If exporting from Lightroom, in the File Settings section there is an option to specify the maximum file size. Set it to 9000 and ensure that the check box is ticked. Lightroom will sort everything out automatically.

With Photoshop, it will be necessary to adjust the quality setting to create a file of the required size. Start by ensuring that the image is in 8 bit mode and that the Preview option is checked in the "JPEG Options" panel. Photoshop will provide an estimate of the eventual file size. (Note that it only does this for 8 bit images.) If the file size exceeds 10 MB, it will be necessary to lower the Quality setting until the figure drops below 10 MB. Photoshop's estimate is not always accurate and if PhotoEntry rejects the upload for being too large, it will be necessary to resave the image with a Quality setting that has been further reduced and submit the new file to PhotoEntry.

Post any questions here or e-mail me.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 13 Mar 2020, 08:30

UPDATE

The club has completed a questionnaire from which Amateur Photographer will write the article and it has been sent to the magazine's editorial team along with the images which will be considered to illustrate it. Everyone who submitted their photos has had one included in the club's selection. That does not guarantee publication as there are more than are needed. The magazine will make the final choice, but everyone is in with a chance.

If you would like to know which of your photos has been sent, I have updated the "Amateur Photographer Images" segment in PhotoEntry which we used for the submission of work. Those images included in our panel have been given a score of "10".

One change is that Amateur Photographer has moved the publication date back a couple of weeks and is now saying that the article will probably appear in the edition dated 25 April, which will be on sale from the week commencing Tuesday, 21 April. I will confirm this and provide any other relevant updates as I get further information.
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri 27 Mar 2020, 09:05

Hi Mike,
Just wondering if our Croydon Camera Club article has appeared in Amateur Photographer.
https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/publication/amateur-photographer/amateur-photographer-21-march-2020
AP used to be available at the Salisbury at Streatham Common but I am self isolating and have not left the home apart from cheering for the NHS at 8 pm last night when half our street came out!

10 photography projects you can do at home in AP for CCC members to consider.
https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/technique/10-photography-projects-you-can-do-at-home-135938/

Regards,
Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 27 Mar 2020, 10:15

Mike Farley wrote:One change is that Amateur Photographer has moved the publication date back a couple of weeks and is now saying that the article will probably appear in the edition dated 25 April, which will be on sale from the week commencing Tuesday, 21 April. I will confirm this and provide any other relevant updates as I get further information.

The timing could have been better ......

When I spoke to Nigel Atherton, AP's editor, last December and he agreed to publish the article, nobody had heard of Covid-19. Except a few doctors in Wuhan who were told by the authorities in China that they were wrong and ordered to keep quiet. Without exaggeration, the most expensive mistake in the history of the world by a not inconsiderable margin.

I have tried obtaining a copy of this week's issue via my local newsagent, which is also a post office and still open, but no luck. They say they ordered it but it has not shown up. You might fare better somewhere else. (My subscription expired and there is a week's gap before the new one starts.) If you subscribe now, you should be in time to get your copy of the relevant edition in the post but do not leave it too long. It seems to take them a couple of weeks or so to get subscriptions set up. It is also possible to purchase a digital copy when it is published. I have been promised a PDF version of the article but not seen it yet.

The assumption is that AP will be able to continue publishing during the crisis.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “General”