Paul's 52 Week Project

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Mike Farley

Re: Week 37/52

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 14:45

Paul Heester wrote:Visited Winkworth Arboretum looking for some autumnal colour but it was quite elusive. Found these orange leaves backlit amongst the rest of the greenery, so I spot-metered off the leaves knowing the surrounding leaves would come out darker but think it gives a pleasing frame.

Week 37/52 by Paul Heester, on Flickr

I have just come back from Winkworth Arboretum and had a very similar experience with much of the foliage still remaining green, especially around the lake. The NT has allowed a lot of scrub to grow by the edges of the lake (to prevent people falling in?), which makes access very difficult or downright impossible across most of its length. Of course the bank opposite the trees with the best display of autumn colours was impossible to get to.

I had been monitoring their Facebook page, as well as the weather forecasts and suspect that the site is selective in what it chooses to feature. I encountered a few other togs while I was there, including Adrian Davies who gave a nature presentation at the club at the beginning of this season. He was similarly disappointed and reckoned that it might be another week or so before the full autumnal colours make their appearance. He also mentioned the lack of maples which can be very specatular at this time of year. I am not sure that I will bother going back.

I do quite like your shot, despite the dodgy border! ;)
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Re: Paul's 52 Week Project

Postby davidc » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 15:44

Now we have a car I was considering popping down to Winkworth again perhaps though this is kinda putting me off :(
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 16:18

The trees by the lake will probably be turning in the next week or so, but I think that one of the problems is the mixture of native and foreign species which tend to have different cycles. Looking at my pictures from last year, some of the trees still have their leaves while others don't, which can make for tricky composition. The warm weather might also be a factor in extending the period while leaves of the native trees remain green.

Last year, I went on a photography event lead by one of the employees there who was supposedly a photography expert. (I seem to recall that you were there as well, as it was a club outing?) He did say that the arboretum had been at its best a couple of weeks previously, which was a factor in my going this morning.

This might not be one of the better places for autumn foliage. One of the top entries in this year's Take A View Landscape PTOY competition was taken on the Polesden Lacey estate and is better than anything which I think is possible at Winkworth, other maybe than the classic shot of the boat house amongst the yellow and brown leaves. The location offers convenience, but everything will have been done before by others.

http://www.take-a-view.co.uk/news.htm#News211013B
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 16:50

And it's just up the road from Denbies where I was last week so I won't even need to reprogram the satnav :) Might check it out instead.
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 17:20

davidc wrote:And it's just up the road from Denbies where I was last week so I won't even need to reprogram the satnav :) Might check it out instead.

I'd wait awhile until the trees start turning, although you might want to check out possible locations on a recce beforehand. The TAV shot looks like early morning to me. Not the time when you want to be stumbling around in the darkness.
Regards

Mike Farley
Paul Heester

Week 38/52

Postby Paul Heester » Thu 24 Oct 2013, 22:18

Waited for fluffy clouds and winds to create the long exposure effect I was after here. Taken with B&W ND110 filter with exposure of 30 seconds to blur the clouds. Then spent time dodging and burning each element, its quite addictive!

Week 38/52 by Paul Heester, on Flickr
Paul Heester

Week 39/52

Postby Paul Heester » Thu 31 Oct 2013, 15:34

As its Halloween I was inspired to try a zombie theme. So we have my hand stuffed into a compost bag and then dipped into some homemade blood and then I used a picture frame and pressed my fingers against the pane.

Week 39/52 by Paul Heester, on Flickr
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 31 Oct 2013, 16:11

Reminds me of a zombie themed computer game :)
My Top 50 album is here
Paul Heester

Week 40/52

Postby Paul Heester » Tue 05 Nov 2013, 18:09

Used yesterdays clear skies to visit London City Airport. I wanted to capture the trails from the planes arriving and departing. This image is a composite of 46 images (using the Lighten layer mode in PS) which show 2 landings and 5 departures. As the light changed I used various exposures. Ive also left other trails in of passing planes. Used a single masked frame to darken the overexposed buildings of Canary Wharf.

Week 40/52 by Paul Heester, on Flickr
davidc

Postby davidc » Wed 06 Nov 2013, 08:51

Cool to see how close you got to the runway and the skyline/sky colours are great, did you have to get permission to get this close?
My Top 50 album is here

Return to “Photo Sharing”