Paul's 52 Week Project

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Paul Heester

Re: Paul's 52 Week Project

Postby Paul Heester » Fri 06 Dec 2013, 17:32

Hehe :D

If it makes you feel better I went there on Tuesday but failed to capture enough of the base below the tripod, after processing there was a large black circle which was far too big to 'shop in. Angry with myself for not thinking it through, so had to return yesterday. I also got stopped by the "tripod police", the nice lady explained that they get alot of professional photographers there who have to have a permit and I obviously didnt. Once I'd taken camera off tripod she was happy and walked away :roll:

PS Hugin rocks but UI is a pain to navigate.

davidc wrote:Damn you Heester!!

I tried this yesterday, went to Monument near London Bridge and was turned away because there was a hundred school kids clogging up the central column!!! I was going back today!!!

*shakes fist*

Well done though. Not even through gritted teeth. ;)
Paul Heester

Week 45/52

Postby Paul Heester » Fri 13 Dec 2013, 08:55

Inspired by a recent Digital SLR Photography magazine article I got the macro lens out and played around with some bubbles trying to mimic Jupiter like patterns. Good fun!

Strobist info: Yongnuo 560 II to the right at 1/2 power using a pillowcase of a difuser.

Week 45/52 by Paul Heester, on Flickr
davidc

Postby davidc » Fri 13 Dec 2013, 13:48

Another cracker! Flash to the right through the pillowcase, but how close? Also, what was the bubble sitting on?

I tried the same technique in January and failed utterly, running out of time and forced to do a substitute shot. I really love these, you might have inspired me for a Friday night shoot :)
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Fri 13 Dec 2013, 15:46

Flash was around 30cm away set to wide angle and found putting sheet closer to lens worked best. I used a spare Canon lens cap which was good because its black and doesnt reflect. Also had to use a few black cards to stop other unwanted reflections. Bubble mixture was Fairy Liquid, water and some glycerin. Experiment away! :D

davidc wrote:Another cracker! Flash to the right through the pillowcase, but how close? Also, what was the bubble sitting on?

I tried the same technique in January and failed utterly, running out of time and forced to do a substitute shot. I really love these, you might have inspired me for a Friday night shoot :)
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 14 Dec 2013, 15:59

Excellent shot. Like it.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Paul Heester

Week 46/52

Postby Paul Heester » Thu 19 Dec 2013, 23:10

Left it till the final day to capture this and the weather still wasnt playing fair as a cold and wet evening wasnt what I had in mind for this location but it helped capture these reflections. The lights constantly change so you dont know what patterns or colours you will get. Shot in Broadgate Square, near Liverpool Street Station.

Week 46/52 by Paul Heester, on Flickr
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 19 Dec 2013, 23:36

Brill, I have tried and failed consistently to get anything here! Did you use a tripod? I walk over this place daily on my way to the gym :)
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Fri 20 Dec 2013, 14:16

Used a tripod along with plastic bag over the camera because the rain was so bad. Another 'tog was there also, however he was accosted by some merry people who couldnt understand why he was there, they just didnt get it :roll:

davidc wrote:Brill, I have tried and failed consistently to get anything here! Did you use a tripod? I walk over this place daily on my way to the gym :)
Paul Heester

Week 47/52

Postby Paul Heester » Mon 23 Dec 2013, 20:34

Had to try a Christmas themed shot. Bokeh is always popular so made some custom bokeh shapes, placed over lens and took multiple shots and added different shapes, replacing the original light in the same position.

Obviously this is how I would like Christmas to go with me resting. Wishful thinking!

Week 47/52 by Paul Heester, on Flickr
Paul Heester

Week 48/52

Postby Paul Heester » Mon 30 Dec 2013, 20:52

Been meaning to try a product shot for a while. As New Years Eve approaches a beer related one seemed appropriate.

Strobist info:

Setup involved placing bottle on side of an unused fishtank. The glow effect was created by placing my 430ex @ 1/8th under the tank and firing at some black card. Colour was achieved with some red sweet wrappers from Christmas over the flash. I then traced a sparkler around the drink. Finally used an LED torch to lightpaint the front of the bottle. All achieved in camera on Bulb 49s @ F10.

Week 48/52 by Paul Heester, on Flickr

Return to “Photo Sharing”