Paul's 52 Week Project

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Paul Heester

Week 06

Postby Paul Heester » Thu 14 Mar 2013, 18:37

Thought I would experiment with my new wireless flash trigger. So made a little studio in base of shower with white background, camera on tripod and experimenting with different exposures and flash settings. Used a shot glass to throw liquid in the air and see what I caught.

This is a composite obviously of ones I got in focus which also had interesting patterns. It really was trial and error but Ive realised that most of the keepers were at the end so hopefully I was improving with exposure and throwing skills! I found I needed dark liquid to really work. So although this looks like whisky, its in fact balsamic vinegar watered down :)

Week 06 by pheester, on Flickr
Mike Farley

Re: Week 06

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 14 Mar 2013, 19:08

Paul Heester wrote:........ although this looks like whisky, it's in fact balsamic vinegar watered down :)

Whisky tastes better, but chucking it away would be scandalous waste. ;)

Good one. Keep 'em coming.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Re: Paul's 52 Week Project

Postby davidc » Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:11

Think I've proven I like this kind of shot already, this is a good variation on the theme :)
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Paul Heester

Week 07

Postby Paul Heester » Thu 21 Mar 2013, 13:59

My 2 "targets" this week were unavailable. One due to scaffolding and the other due to lack of rain. So having left it to the last day I liked the hazy sunshine breaking through this tree. That fact it happened to be right outside the front of my house was an added bonus :D

I decided to try a technique of stacking 3 over-exposed images and combining them. Each layer had a Multiply Blend Mode so the over-exposed bright sections came through. Then each layer also had a hue/saturation layer and finally used gaussian blur on 2 of the layers.

Week 07/52 by pheester, on Flickr
Paul Heester

Week 08

Postby Paul Heester » Wed 27 Mar 2013, 17:36

A welcome site to see over London Bridge this morning...the sun! Tower Bridge didnt look that appealing but these facing cranes just intersected the sun nicely. Ive tried lots of compositions with the cranes in the first 3rd and a square crop. Im still undecided but opted for this.

Week 08/52 by pheester, on Flickr
Paul Heester

Week 09

Postby Paul Heester » Fri 29 Mar 2013, 16:24

Id had an Easter idea for a while. However, I couldnt find our spiral egg cup and these Creme Eggs are smaller than normal eggs so reverted to using the carton itself. Tried different angles but liked the top-down view and gave it a slight vignette as well. Was taken on first day of Week 09, hence last 2 pics are posted close together.

Week 09/52 by pheester, on Flickr
Mike Farley

Re: Week 08

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 29 Mar 2013, 16:34

Paul Heester wrote:A welcome site to see over London Bridge this morning...the sun! Tower Bridge didnt look that appealing but these facing cranes just intersected the sun nicely. Ive tried lots of compositions with the cranes in the first 3rd and a square crop. Im still undecided but opted for this.

Week 08/52 by pheester, on Flickr

I can see the difficulty you had with framing. I experimented with the cranes slightly offset in a 8.5 x 11 format, which seemed to work quite well. Good shot, all the better for managing to include that strange circular orb. It has been so long since it has made an appearance, I can't quite remember what it is. ;)
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Re: Week 09

Postby davidc » Sat 30 Mar 2013, 09:01

Paul Heester wrote:Id had an Easter idea for a while. However, I couldnt find our spiral egg cup and these Creme Eggs are smaller than normal eggs so reverted to using the carton itself. Tried different angles but liked the top-down view and gave it a slight vignette as well. Was taken on first day of Week 09, hence last 2 pics are posted close together.

Week 09/52 by pheester, on Flickr

Haha this is brilliant, love it - well done! Like the lighting too.
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Paul Heester

Week 10

Postby Paul Heester » Tue 09 Apr 2013, 15:20

Took a day off work and spent it at Dungeness, which I know is a photographers popular choice but had never been myself. I found the place strangely tranquil. The soft hazy light gave a low contrast feel which really suited the rusted boats and buildings. This shot feels like a fake tilt-shift effect but was achieved using a 70-300 zoom. Rest of the set can be found here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/8182614@N0 ... 633830063/

Week 10/52 by pheester, on Flickr
Mike Farley

Re: Paul's 52 Week Project

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 09 Apr 2013, 19:27

I find that Dungeness has a very strange feel to it, almost out of this world due to its geology. The second largest area of shibgle in the world, if I recall correctly.

EDF are offering tours of the nuclear power plant there which could make for an interesting photo excursion. We can take pictures afterwards of each other glowing! I'll post something on the Outings and Events forum.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Photo Sharing”